I Want To Divorce My Drug Addicted Husband


I Want To Divorce My Drug Addicted Husband

I Want To Divorce My Drug Addicted HusbandIn New Jersey, there are many options to divorce a drug addict.  Addiction is a lesser used cause of action for a divorce.  It is often not as widely utilized by attorneys or parties seeking divorce because it can be difficult to prove substance abuse in court.

If you wish to file for divorce under the grounds of addiction, you will have to be able to prove a dependence on a narcotic or other dangerous substance, or habitual drunkenness for a period of twelve or more consecutive months prior to filing the complaint for divorce.  You will also need to be able to prove to the court that the other party used alcohol and/or drugs persistently and substantially.  Due to these requirements, it is not a common cause of action as it is unlikely that a person has the sort of proof necessary to meet the burden in court.

A slightly easier burden to meet in order obtain a divorce due to drug addiction would be to file for divorce under extreme cruelty.  This is defined as any physical or mental cruelty which makes it improper to expect a person to continue to live with his or her spouse.  Therefore, you could allege that being married to a drug addict has caused you to suffer emotionally.  This could be demonstrated by specific examples of times where the addict treated you poorly, was mean or possibly destructive within the home due to their addiction issues.  The court is generally very liberal with respect to what constitutes extreme cruelty in the context of a divorce proceeding.  The burden of proof is also easier to meet than filing under addiction, as it is largely a credibility issue.  So long as your testimony is credible with regard to the cruelty encountered in the marriage, a judge will likely grant the divorce on these terms.

The easiest method of divorcing a drug addict, however, is to file under irreconcilable differences.   This is New Jersey’s no fault cause of action and all that you need to prove is that you are no longer getting along with your spouse for a period of at least 6 months.  This can, of course, become complicated in the event that the other party does not participate and a default divorce hearing is necessary.  However, if your spouse is willing to cooperate, this is the simplest basis for filing for divorce.

A party’s addiction may become a consideration in other areas of the divorce, as well.  For example, custody and parenting time may be very concerning issues if your spouse is continuing to use drugs or alcohol.  It may be necessary to ask that your spouse only see the children in a supervised setting in order to ensure the children’s safety.  Additionally, it may be a good idea to ask that the court order your spouse to undergo a substance abuse evaluation in order to aid in establishing his or her addiction issue.  A judge may condition any expansion of parenting time, or modifying it from supervised to unsupervised, upon the completion of a treatment program.  Another concern some people have with regard to leaving an addicted spouse is the potential safety issue with regards to leaving.  In some instances, you may feel that your addicted spouse may become physically threatening if you tell them in advance that you are planning to leave.

If you share any of these concerns, please call the attorneys at DeTorres & DeGeorge to schedule a consultation at 908-284-6005 or 973-264-4100.  Our experienced attorneys can assist you in strategizing the best way to leave your drug addicted spouse.

Divorce Guide
About DeTorres and DeGeorge Family Law

DeTorres and DeGeorge Family Law is a New Jersey based family law firm that has been helping New Jersey residents achieve the best possible results in their divorce for nearly 30 years. The DeTorres and DeGeorge Family Law team is always ready to fight for their clients’ rights – determined to help New Jersey families overcome legal challenges from start to finish. Our legal team, with over 65 years of combined experience, provides expert guidance on all family law and divorce-related matters, including custody and parenting time, alimony and child support, equitable distribution of assets, premarital agreements, post-divorce issues, executive compensation distribution, divorces for business owners, and divorce mediation. The firm has been recognized for its dedication and expertise in the industry by multiple local and national organizations, including Super Lawyers, Law Firm 500, and the American Institute of Family Law Attorneys. Rosanne DeTorres, Managing Partner, is one of 150 lawyers certified as a matrimonial law attorney.

Rosanne S. DeTorres
Ms. DeTorres is the managing partner and co-founder of DeTorres & DeGeorge Family Law. She is also only one of 150 attorneys in the State of NJ that is certified by the NJ Supreme Court as a Matrimonial Law Attorney. Ms. DeTorres graduated...
Share on:

knowledge & insights

Grandmother and Grandfather smiling with child on his shoulders

Grandparents rights in New Jersey

In many families, grandparents play a significant role in a child’s life. In positive situations, grandparents provide love, care and support complimenting the family dynamic, rather than creating conflicts with one or both parents.  NJ Grandparents’ Rights  In New Jersey, the Grandparent...

May 30, 2023 Read More

White cutout of a head with scribble writing inside and an image of children holding hands

Mental health and child custody

Mental health issues can impact every area of a person's life, and if not managed properly can have devastating effects on that person and all of their relationships, including their marriage or romantic relationship, which can lead to mental health and child custody issues.  Mental illness in...

May 18, 2023 Read More

People sitting at a table with documents

Divorce negotiations

Negotiating a divorce settlement is arguably the most important aspect of the divorce process. In order to reach a divorce settlement proposal, you will want to focus on your divorce negotiation strategy.  How you approach your divorce negotiations will be critical in determining how successful...

May 5, 2023 Read More

Divorce: The Answers you Need – Before, During & After

Download our eBook today!

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.


  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

follow us