Recognizing Child Abuse

As a parent, your primary concern is to make sure your child is protected and safe. If your child spends time with the other parent or friends or relatives of the other parent, you may have some concerns about how your child is cared for when he or she is away from your home. It is important to understand that most children are safe and cared for while with another parent and that child abuse is the exception and not the rule. That being said, as a parent you should always be aware of the warning signs of child abuse so that you will recognize it should it ever happen to your child:

  • Your child withdraws from normal activities and avoids spending time with friends
  • You notice changes in your child’s behavior at home or school, including anger, hyperactivity, hostility or changes in school performance.
  • Your child is depressed, very anxious or suddenly has less self-confidence
  • Your child is reluctant to leave you, to leave school, or to leave other safe zones when she is going to the potential abuser’s home
  • Your child is suddenly rebellious or defiant in ways that are unusual for him
  • Your child displays age-inappropriate sexual knowledge or behavior, or he or she describes sexual abuse
  • There is blood in your child’s underwear or signs that walking or sitting are painful
  • Unexplained ailments such as headaches or stomach aches are described by your child
  • Sudden surges of affection or clinginess emerge
  • There are frequent unexplained injuries to your child such as bruises or cuts
  • Delayed emotional development is an issue

Child abuse is something to be taken seriously. If your child needs immediate medical help, call 911 or go to a hospital. Call 1-877 NJ ABUSE (1-877-652-2873) to report child abuse. It is also important that you talk with your attorney so that you can obtain custody of your child as soon as possible.

DeTorres & DeGeorge cares about your child and is here to help you in Califon, New Jersey and the surrounding areas. Call us at 908-284-6005 to discuss your case.

Children & Divorce Guide
Tagged with: , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Recognizing Child Abuse Recognizing Child Abuse Recognizing Child Abuse DeTorres & DeGeorge Family Law Attorneys