Why People Don’t Pay Child Support


Why People Don’t Pay Child Support

According to a Congressional report only 38% of parents with current child support orders actually receive child support. Child support is ordered by a court and is enforceable with some very stiff penalties, fines, and license revocations, not to mention possible jail time. Why then are so many parents not paying their child support?

The economic conditions of the past decade have certainly contributed to parents’ abilities to actually pay child support. If your financial circumstances change, you can seek to modify your child support order to fit your finances.  Don’t wait for the situation to become dire or for threats of incarceration to occur before consulting an attorney about your rights.

Many parents do not pay child support because it carries a heavy emotional toll. The paying parent fought with, was hurt by, and was ultimately rejected by the other parent. There is a long emotional history that causes pain as you continue to parent together. In addition to trying to co-parent, the parent who now spends less time with his child is told by the court that he must give money to the other parent every single month and will have no control over where the money goes, what it is used for and whether it actually is used to benefit the child. That can be a lot to ask of someone.

Parents are not given control over the amount of child support. In most cases, child support is set by a formula, and is dictated either by the court or the parents’ attorneys work through the formula and simply tell the parents what they will be paying. Parents who use alternative dispute resolution techniques often have better outcomes and feelings associated with child support because they have the opportunity to discuss amounts and break down why it is needed and what it will be used for.

DeTorres & DeGeorge provides representation in divorce and child support cases and also offers divorce mediation the Bridgewater and Warren Township areas of New Jersey. We’re ready to talk to you about your case. Call us now.

Financial Divorce Guide
About DeTorres and DeGeorge Family Law

DeTorres and DeGeorge Family Law is a New Jersey based family law firm that has been helping New Jersey residents achieve the best possible results in their divorce for nearly 30 years. The DeTorres and DeGeorge Family Law team is always ready to fight for their clients’ rights – determined to help New Jersey families overcome legal challenges from start to finish. Our legal team, with over 65 years of combined experience, provides expert guidance on all family law and divorce-related matters, including custody and parenting time, alimony and child support, equitable distribution of assets, premarital agreements, post-divorce issues, executive compensation distribution, divorces for business owners, and divorce mediation. The firm has been recognized for its dedication and expertise in the industry by multiple local and national organizations, including Super Lawyers, Law Firm 500, and the American Institute of Family Law Attorneys. Rosanne DeTorres, Managing Partner, is one of 150 lawyers certified as a matrimonial law attorney.

Carolyn B. Hand
Carolyn Hand is a passionate and experienced litigator specializing in family law. In 2020, she was named partner at DeTorres & DeGeorge Family Law. Carolyn represents clients in family court in all matters pertaining to divorce, custody...
Tagged with: , ,
Share on:

knowledge & insights

Envelope with a paper inside that says “Top Secret”

How to Secretly Prepare for Divorce

There are many practical ways of planning a divorce secretly. The strongest step is to speak with an experienced New Jersey family lawyer. We’ll explain what financial, emotional, and practical steps you should consider before formally filing a divorce complaint. We’ll explain how to secretly...

January 11, 2022 Read More

Two people pulling opposite directions on a dog's leash.

Negotiating a Pet Custody Agreement

Custody of pets in divorce For some spouses, deciding who gets custody of the family dog, cat, or another beloved pet is often one of the most upsetting issues to be decided. The issue of custody of a dog in a breakup can become quite contentious. Deciding who gets custody of a terrier, collie,...

January 6, 2022 Read More

Block letters spelling “child custody”

What Happens If There Is No Custody Agreement

Understanding custody without orders in New Jersey The best course of action for any parent who is divorcing their spouse or living apart from the other biological parent is to obtain a New Jersey custody order. A custody order determines which parents have legal custody and which parents have...

January 4, 2022 Read More

Divorce: The Answers you Need – Before, During & After

Download our eBook today!

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.


  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

follow us