Here are six tips and instructions for use with your personal computer and web privacy. And when you are done, check out our six tips for your iPhone.
1. Scan your computer for Spying Software if you think your computer is being monitored.
If you’re on a MAC:
- Click on the Apple icon > App Store
- Search for Bitdefender
- Download the free version
- Run the scan – It can take a while, just wait
- Click on “Fix issue” if Bitdefender detects any threat to you computer
- Important: If you still think you’re being monitored, take your computer to a Apples Genius Bar near you.
If you’re a Windows
- Check your computer for software that allows other to remotely access your computer.
- Start Menu > All Programs
- Look for names such as VNC, RealVNC, TightVNC, UltraVNC, LogMeIn, GoToMyPC
- Check your icons and see what’s running. If you find something you never heard of, run a web search to find out if it’s a tracking software
- Run a Virus or Malware scan for potential unauthorized software
- There are others more technical tasks that can be performed by a computer technician or by a Geek Squad near you, such:
- Check your firewall ports
- Check Outbound Connections
- Reset and Secure your Wireless Router
- Clean or Repair Install Windows
2. Update the password for your laptop or add one if you never set up a password
3. Update password of your email accounts
4. Update passwords for your Social Media Profile: Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Google+ and any other.
5. Set your Browser to browse the web privately:
- Safari: File > New Private Window
- Firefox File > New Private Window
- Chrome: File > New Incognito Window
6. Set your preferred search engine to DuckDuckGo (this search engine doesn’t track you or save your information)
TIPS FOR STRONG PASS:
- Have at least one letter
- Have at least one capital letter
- Have at least one number
- Not contain multiple identical consecutive characters
- Not be the same as the account name
- Be at least 8 characters