How to get a child’s passport with one parent absent.

Adult and child smiling holding passportsOften, obtaining a passport for a minor is more complicated than people expect. It is helpful to have an understanding of the requirements of the process, especially when only one parent is involved. Sometimes the other parent is unavailable, uncooperative, or perhaps residing outside of the country. Under those scenarios still certain requirements must be met.

Do both parents need to be present for a child passport?

If you and your child’s other parents share joint legal custody, notarized consent from both parents is required to obtain a passport for a minor. If one parent is not available, a special circumstances form can be completed. If you have sole legal custody of your child, the other parent’s consent is not required. Oftentimes, petitioning the court for judicial intervention is necessary, sometimes requesting that the court require the other parent to execute the consent form.

Can I get my child a passport with one parent absent?

If necessary, under certain circumstances, the court can enter an order that can be provided to the United States Passport Agency that can be used to obtain the passports.

In accordance with all children under the age of 16 must apply for a passport in person with two parents or guardians using form DS – 11.  Both legal parent/legal guardians must apply for the passport with the child or the legal parent/legal guardian that cannot apply with the child must complete the form to be submitted with the application.  If the required consent form is not submitted, the request for a passport will likely be denied.

What is the parental information necessary for a passport application?

When navigating this process, people often want to know if you need your ex-spouse’s information for a passport. In order to successfully complete a passport application, certain parental information is required including, full name of your parents at birth, even if they are deceased or you do not know their current location. You should include their city and state of birth, if they were born in the U.S., or their country, city, and province of birth if they were born outside the U.S.

Can a stepparent sign for a passport?

No, a step parent cannot sign for a passport. The individuals listed on the child’s birth certificate are the people that are to be part of this process.

What are the reasons for denied passports?

Passport applications can be denied for a number of reasons, including inaccurate, or incomplete information, missing documents, outstanding child support payments, unpaid federal taxes, as well as criminal convictions, outstanding warrants, or other violations of passport laws.

Obtaining a passport for a minor can be frustrating, and sometimes very confusing with the added element of doing it with one parent absent. If you have questions about obtaining a passport for a minor or how to get a child’s passport with one parent absent, contact us today. Here at DeTorres & DeGeorge, we work diligently to ensure that our clients have the necessary information and the tools available to them to navigate difficult circumstances. Contact us today for a consultation. We are here to help!


Share on:

knowledge & insights

Man sitting on a couch with his hand on his head

My husband’s mental illness is ruining our marriage

Mental illness refers to a variety of mental health disorders, which are often manifested through significant changes in a person's emotional behavior and overall attitude, frequently displaying issues with difficulty in social life, work and family activities. Oftentimes people think these...

April 9, 2024 Read More

Desk with a gavel and a man writing in a book

Are divorce records public?

In the state of New Jersey, divorce documents are generally considered public records. There is a possibility that a third-party could access copies of your divorce documents. New Jersey divorce decrees are available through the Superior Court of New Jersey Record Center if you want to know how to...

March 28, 2024 Read More

Girl with backpack on smiling at her mother

Can I change my child’s last name if I have sole custody?

A parent may file a request for a child's name change in New Jersey. This application could be made in a divorce complaint, in a motion to the court, following a divorce, or in a Family Court non-dissolution case where the parties are not married, and were never married. The family court will make...

March 22, 2024 Read More

Divorce: The Answers you Need – Before, During & After

Download our eBook today!

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.


  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

follow us